“Hailed as two of the greatest virtuosos ever to emerge from Ailey land – Dwight Rhoden & Desmond Richardson”
The New York Times
“Complexions makes it “sensationally, jaw-droppingly clear that we live in the age of the super dancer, at a time when technical virtuosity is being redefined as an expressive state”
About Our Season
Under the artistic direction of Master Choreographer Dwight Rhoden and the legendary Desmond Richardson, Complexions continues to lead the way with its unprecedented approach to contemporary ballet.
- And So It Is… a large-scale, sweeping, full company, neoclassical work set en pointe to the music of Bach
- Strum, a work for 14 dancers set to the music of the iconic metal band Metallica
- Debut of the company’s Imprint Series, honoring Dr. Maya Angelou and performed by Desmond Richardson, an iconic figure in his own right
- World premiere of Cryin’ to Cry Out, Rhoden’s work inspired by the haunting and extraordinary voice of jazz singer Jimmy Scott;
- Approximate Sonata, choreographed by William Forsythe, regarded by many in the dance world as the most important influence on ballet since Balanchine
- World premiere (Nov. 2015) of Chronicle is a full-company work. Act 1’s wandering narrative is wrought with non-sequential storylines, characters, and images of life’s complexities, and the challenges society is facing.
Act 2 is a new production of 2009’s signature work, Mercy, which serves as an answer, reaction, elegy, or lament to the turmoil of contemporary living.
- Rock Steady (Jan. 16), an evening dedicated to the iconic sounds of U2, the Rolling Stones and Metallica